If you’re working on an API, it’s essential to make sure that it’s tested as thoroughly as possible to make sure that it meets your client’s requirements and doesn’t contain any bugs that would hinder its performance and operation. Since there are so many different testing tools out there, however, choosing the best one can be difficult if you don’t know where to look first.
API testing continues to gain importance within the DevOps landscape, and this will become even more important as APIs become more prevalent across business operations in the future. Not all API testing tools are created equal, and it can be challenging to determine which ones are the best option for your organization. Below are the top 5 best API testing tools in 2022.
What is API Testing
API tests are a kind of software testing that focuses on determining whether APIs are in line with requirements. As APIs become a crucial element of software design, programmers and developers need to conduct API tests. The testing can’t be done on the front-end since there isn’t a graphic User Interface for APIs.
An Application Programming Interface (API) is a set of rules and standards that allow two computer programs to interact. The purpose of an API is to enable developers to create applications that can use software components developed by different vendors.
TestGrid is a platform that helps you write and execute REST APIs tests. It supports SOAP and REST-based services, with a test suite registered in C# and assembly of XML files.
TestGrid API test automation gives users the possibility of testing their software or that of their client repeatedly without writing just one line of code or running every test scenario. This can result in faster results due to the ability to identify defects earlier and reduce the overall cost of testing.
- No additional test cases are required to create API tests.
- Plug n Play real-time UI value assertions with API data fetched.
- Detailed report of the number of Source Types, Request Data, Duration, Speed, etc.
- Support for both SOAP and REST-based services
- Automatic generation of mock servers
- Easy database setup from scratch or SQL files
- Support for several databases
Katalon Studio is a comprehensive, robust automation tool for API, Web, Desktop, and Mobile testing.
Katalon Studio provides smooth deployment with everything required in one package (Frameworks, ALM Integrations, and Plugins). Along with support for multiple platforms, it’s one of the best API tools available.
And on top of that, Katalon Studio offers free services for individuals and is also available as a paid service for teams, businesses, and enterprises.
- The software supports SOAP and REST calls. Supports various types of commands as well as functions for parameterization.
- Applauds the data-driven approach
- Supports integration with CI/CD
- Helps AssertJ is one of the most potent assertion libraries to generate fluid assertions using the BDD style.
- Can use for exploratory and automated testing.
- Customized and pre-built code templates
- The sample projects are offered to be used immediately as an information
- Auto-completion, auto-formatting, and code inspection are features that can use to inspect the code
- UI to build, run tests, and keep track of them.
Originally a Chrome browser plug, Postman extended to an on-premise solution that works with both Mac and Windows.
It’s an API development environment. Postman API Development is further divided into three parts: Collections, Workspaces, and built-in toolkits. Postman collections allow users to run requests and test and debug their test automation, build automated tests, mock, document, and track API.
Postman workspaces will offer users collaboration tools. It lets you share your collections, establish permissions and control the participation in multiple workspaces to accommodate any size team. The built-in tools will include the features needed by developers to utilize an API.
Following REST-assured, the next API tester is Postman. Postman provides a web-based version and a desktop application that can be used to test API services. It allows users to share their expertise with the team quickly.
- Aids in automated testing.
- Assists in the exploration of testing.
- It is compatible with Swagger as well as RAML formats.
- It helps to share knowledge in the group.
Sauce Labs provides cloud-based testing software and can offer a testing solution for any tester, including unit testers, integration testers, and even UI testers. Sauce Labs is a good choice for building complete testing.
Sauce Labs provides cloud-based automated testing, delivering new features and fixes as soon as they’re ready. The sauce can manage any test, including unit tests, integration tests, end-to-end UI tests, and performance benchmarks. Sauce Labs makes it easy to build a complete testing infrastructure on any system or platform. There is no need for hardware to buy or software to install; you pick your OS and browser versions, then get started. It supports Selenium automation right out of the box, so you can focus on writing great tests rather than setting up your environment.
The Swagger tool can assist you throughout the entire life cycle with an API. The tool allows you to conduct an API’s operational, performance, and security assessment.
Swagger Inspector allows developers and QAs to verify and investigate APIs of the cloud. Load and performance tests are done using LoadUI Pro. It will enable you to use the same functional test from SoapUI. Swagger is a collection of open-source software tools.
- Creation of APIs for developers to utilize.
- Technical documentation
- Application Programming Interface Testing
- The API-mocking and virtualization solution
- Documentation, authorization, and metrics management for an API
APIs have become a crucial part of successful digital transformation with an increasing number of applications and user-generated content and activity. It is pretty challenging to develop an application without a practical plan for testing and ensuring the reliability of an Application Programming Interface (API). TestGrid has simplified how you can do online testing by bringing you advanced cloud-based automation tools and ready-to-use libraries for unit testing, integration testing, or performance testings.