Feel like your chances of winning a rummy game are slim? Here is how you can use the joker to turn the game around!
The joker plays a crucial role in a variety of card games, and it is no different in rummy where it is considered a trump card. If you are a beginner at rummy, it is vital that you understand the importance of the joker and the ways in which you can use this card to your advantage in a rummy game. It is not an exaggeration to say that a joker can make or break your rummy game.
You may have heard about players dropping out of a rummy game when they do not get a joker in the hand, which underlines just how important the joker really is. The question is, can the joker turn a failing game into a winning one? Yes, it can! Wondering how? Read on.
A quick recap of rummy rules
Now before going any further, it is important to know that to be declared a winner in a rummy game, you must have a pure sequence in hand. Once you have created this vital combination, jokers can help you with arranging the rest of the cards in required combinations and lead you to victory.
Before delving into how the joker can save your game of rummy, here is a quick look at some rummy terminology and rules.
- A pure sequence is a group of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit. You cannot form a pure sequence using a joker as a substitute for any missing card in the group. To declare the game, you need to have at least one pure sequence in your hand. ♣-2♣-3♣4♣ is an example of a pure sequence.
- An impure sequence is a group of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit in which one or more cards have been replaced by a joker or jokers. A valid declaration can contain impure sequences, but creating at least one pure sequence is compulsory. An example of an impure sequence is 10♥-J♥-PJ-K♥.
- A set is a group of three or four cards of the same rank but different suits. For example, 4♥ 4♦ 4♠ or K♥ K♦ K♠ K♣.
Types of jokers in rummy
1. Printed joker
The printed joker is the card in a card deck with a symbol or a picture of the joker printed on it. Indian rummy utilizes one printed joker per deck. In case the game is played by six players and two card decks are used, two printed jokers are included.
2. Wild joker
After all the players are dealt 13 cards each, a card is randomly selected from the closed pile. This randomly picked card becomes the wild joker along with all other cards of the same rank for that game. For example, if 5♣ is randomly selected as the wild joker, all 5s in the card deck become wild jokers.
The importance of jokers
1. Jokers can be used to create a second sequence
In order to make a valid declaration, it is necessary to create at least two sequences, at least one of which must be a pure sequence. Once you have managed to create a pure sequence, you can use jokers to quickly create another sequence. If you want to win at online rummy, make good use of the jokers in hand and create your second sequence as soon as you have made a pure sequence.
2. Jokers can help reduce your point load
Have way too many ungrouped high-value cards? Quickly arrange them in either sequences or sequences and sets to reduce your point load. This is especially important in case your opponent declares their hand before you. As the only card that is worth zero points, the joker can make your job a lot easier since points are negative in rummy. Make your combinations using jokers and high-value cards and reduce your score. In this way, even if you lose the game, you will lose it by a smaller margin.
3. Jokers can help with damage control in case of any technical issues
When you play rummy online, remember to always keep your jokers melded, i.e. grouped with other cards to create a sequence or a set. A melded joker will ensure that your penalty does not skyrocket even if you have to drop out of the game due to an emergency or if you face any connectivity issues.
Learning how to use the joker to save a game requires practice. However, once you have figured out how to use the joker to your advantage, you will surely become much better at online rummy games. Do try out these strategies the next time you play rummy.