HydrogenOS is a Chinese based Firmware build for OnePlus Devices in China. An Open Beta based on Android 8.0 Oreo for the OnePlus 5 is available to download. If you are in OxygenOS or any other Custom ROM, and you want to try this Chinese Firmware, you can download it and install on your device from our tutorial below.
OnePlus has done an impressive job by redesigning the application folder style and Optimizing the Hydrogen window visual style in the very first Open Beta. This OS supports the English language too in addition to their traditional/simplified Chinese.
Since the Firmware is Official and is developed by OnePlus, the possibilities of Bugs are minimum. All you need to do is “choose the English language” and “remove the Chinese Bloatware”.
Read the tutorial below and enjoy the test of Chinese Android Oreo!
If this is your first time when you are installing a Custom ROM or an Official Firmware, we understand you would want to make sure that everything goes smooth. So before actually performing anything on your device, make sure to backup all your Data, Files, Contacts, WhatsApp chats and SMS.
We will be playing a clean flash; your entire data will be wiped clean — like a brand new phone.
Remember: All the custom ROMs, Official Firmware, How-to guides, tutorials, roots, hacks, and tricks mentioned on our site belong to the respective developers. We are not responsible if anything goes wrong with your device. Perform it at your own risk.
Features of H2OS 8.0 Oreo for OnePlus 5
This fantastic HydrogenOS 8.0 Official Firmware for OnePlus 5 comes with tons of new features and is based on Android 8.0 Oreo. A quick list of some of the key features are given below, and we are sure you would love to use it on your OnePlus 5.
- Application folder style has been redesigned
- Application shortcuts are Optimized and enhanced
- Hydrogen window visual style has been optimized
- New Add photo function
- New camera UI
- Photo effects are optimized in the Stock Camera
- Beauty effects can be applied in the Portrait mode
OnePlus 5 USB Driver
Make sure you have correctly installed OnePlus 5 USB Driver on your computer. If not, please download from any official source and install it correctly. Otherwise, your computer will not detect your device.
Things to Remember
- Make sure your phone has at least 80 – 85% charge. If not, please do charge it before starting the experiment.
- Make sure your device has TWRP Custom Recovery installed from before. Otherwise, this tutorial will not work!
- This tutorial will WIPE OUT all your DATA. Make sure to create a Backup of everything before starting the tutorial.
- You need to perform a Dalvik Cache wipe in recovery mode before installing the ROM.
NOTE: This OS is only for OnePlus 5. Please do not try with any other variant of OnePlus phones.
You may also like:
- Install crDroid Android 8.1 Oreo on OnePlus 5 Beta 10 Custom Firmware [OTA]
- Update OnePlus 5 to Liquid Remix 8.0 Custom Firmware
- Update OnePlus 5 to LineageOS 14.1 Custom Firmware
- How to Install OnePlus 5 Oreo Update Official Firmware (Android 8.0 OxygenOS)
- Install NoLimits 4.7 Oreo ROM on OnePlus 5 (Speed Optimized)
FOR Clean Flash: Your phone should have the bootloader unlocked, and a custom recovery like TWRP installed from before. We will be covering entire step-by-step instructions for installing this firmware.
FOR Dirty Flash: OnePlus Stock recovery works fine. No need to Unlock the bootloader!
How to Install HydrogenOS Android 8.0 Oreo on OnePlus 5
We have mentioned full step by step instructions on how to install Official H2OS 8.0 Oreo on OnePlus 5. If you are entirely new for flashing a Custom ROM or an Official Firmware, please read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
TUTORIAL: (Step by Step Guide)
FOR TWRP RECOVERY (Clean Flash)
- Download H2OS 8.0 Beta Official Firmware for OnePlus 5 on your computer.
- Now, connect the device to your PC using USB Cable.
- Copy and paste the downloaded zip file to the internal storage of your phone.
- Switch Off your phone and disconnect the cable.
- Press and Hold Volume Down + Power Button together to enter into the recovery mode!
- Once you are in the TWRP recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by tapping on “WIPE” Button. Also, perform a factory reset by swiping on the “Swipe to Factory Reset” option at the bottom.
- Go back to main menu (TWRP Home) and tap on “Install” button. From the list, choose the zip file that you have copied in Step 3.
- Confirm the installation by swiping the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” option on the next screen.
- Now, tap on the “Wipe cache/dalvik” button to clean the ROM and stay away from any boot loop issues.
- Hit on “Reboot System” button!
TUTORIAL: (Step by Step Guide)
FOR STOCK RECOVERY (Dirty Flash)
- Download H2OS 8.0 – Official Oreo ROM to your computer.
- Connect your device to the computer using USB Cable and Copy / Paste the Downloaded Zip file in the internal storage.
- Switch OFF your phone and disconnect the USB Cable.
- Now get into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power Button together.
- Select “Install from internal storage/Install from local”, find your .zip file and click on “Install” to confirm.
Wait a while, and your phone will not take more than 10 minutes to boot for the first time.
Hurray! Your OnePlus 5 should now have H2OS 8.0 Oreo Official Firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
If you encounter any problem, please comment below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Please don’t forget to share if you have found this post helpful!