crDroid Android is an Oreo-based custom firmware developed by Recognized XDA Developers. It’s publicly available on the forum to download and you can install it using custom recovery like TWRP. The ROM is quite stable and supports OTA (Over-the-air) update.
Since it is based on Android 8.1, you will get all the features of official Oreo firmware by Google. If you would like to use it on your device, you can read this article to get the perfect tutorial instruction – for a safe flash.
If flashing is not a new task for you, this guide would not be much difficult. We have covered entire step by step tutorial so that a new user can perform the flash easily.
The source of this ROM is LineageOS (CyanogenMod, previously). Device tree, Vendor, and Kernel are from the same.
The ROM is on Beta stage, and you will get frequent updates via OTA from the crDroid team.
Some key feature highlights are:
- Sigma Kernel – Upstream stable kernel (Requests welcome)
- Arm-v8a optimizations
- AOSP (Android Open Source Project) Camera
- crDroid File Manager – File manager based on Amaze File manager
- crDroid Home – Revamped and customized launcher with Google now integration
- crDroid Settings – Our own chamber of secrets with below customization settings
- Battery Bar customizations
- Additional tiles: Sync, Caffeine, Ambient notifications, Sound, Volume, Compass, USB Tethering, Music, Expanded Desktop, PIP, Weather, Reboot/Recovery
- Customization for weather on lock screen
- Visualization toggle
- Media cover art toggle
- Battery info toggle
- Face auto unlock for recognized trusted faces
- Tap to sleep toggle
- Notifications customizations
- Toggle to access power menu and quick settings on secured lock screen
- Fingerprint authentication vibration toggle
LineageOS Additional Features
- Burnt-in protection
- Live display support
- Privacy guard with native superuser
- Increasing ringtone feature
- Unlinked notification sound
- Color styles – switching between light dark and accent themes
- Expanded Desktop customizations
- Ambient music ticker customizations
- System-wide animations customizations
- Suppress notification sound when no media is playing and/or screen is on
- Screenshot sound toggle
- Live volume steps customization
- Ad Away
- Pocket detection – prevents device interaction when inside pocket
- Suspend actions
- Show CPU info overlay
- Media Scanner boot behavior customization
- Auto USB mode chooser customization
- Three finger swipe for screenshot toggle
Like this ROM? Alright! Read the tutorial below to get the detailed information on flashing:
Your phone should have the bootloader unlocked, and a custom recovery like TWRP installed from before. We will be covering entire step-by-step instructions for installing this firmware.
If this is your first time when you are installing a Custom ROM or an Official Firmware, we understand you would want to make sure that everything goes smooth. So before actually performing anything on your device, make sure to backup all your Data, Files, Contacts, WhatsApp chats and SMS.
We will be playing a clean flash; your entire data will be wiped clean — like a brand new phone.
Remember: All the custom ROMs, Official Firmware, How-to guides, tutorials, roots, hacks, and tricks mentioned on our site belong to the respective developers. We are not responsible if anything goes wrong with your device. Perform it at your own risk.
NOTE: This OS is only for OnePlus 5. Please do not try with any other variant of OnePlus phones.
Check out some cool ROMs for the OnePlus 5:
- Update OnePlus 5 to HydrogenOS Android 8.0 Oreo Official Firmware
- Update OnePlus 5 to Liquid Remix 8.0 Custom Firmware
- Update OnePlus 5 to LineageOS 14.1 Custom Firmware
- Install NoLimits 10.0 Oreo ROM on OnePlus 5 (Speed Optimized)
Like this crDroid ROM? We love it too, and we know you are looking forward to installing it on your device.
OnePlus 5 USB Driver
Make sure you have correctly installed OnePlus 5 USB Driver on your computer. If not, please download from any official source and install it correctly. Otherwise, your computer will not detect your device.
Things to Remember
- Make sure your phone has at least 80 – 85% charge. If not, please do charge it before starting the experiment.
- Make sure your device has TWRP Custom Recovery installed from before. Otherwise, this tutorial will not work!
- This tutorial will WIPE OUT all your DATA. Make sure to create a Backup of everything before starting the tutorial.
- You need to perform a Dalvik Cache wipe in recovery mode before installing the ROM.
- Your phone should be in the latest Open Beta firmware and Modem. If not, try flashing this zip via TWRP custom recovery.
How to Install crDroid Android 8.1 Oreo Custom ROM on OnePlus 5
We have mentioned full step by step instructions on how to install crDroid Android 8.1 Oreo ROM on OnePlus 5. If you are entirely new for flashing a Custom ROM or an Official Firmware, please read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
TUTORIAL: (Step by Step Guide)
Step 2: Now, connect the device to your PC using USB Cable.
Step 3: Copy and paste the downloaded zip file to the internal storage of your phone.
Step 4: Switch Off your phone and disconnect the cable.
Step 5: Press and Hold Volume Down + Power Button together to enter into the recovery mode!
Step 6: Once you are in the TWRP recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by tapping on “WIPE” Button. Also, perform a factory reset by swiping on the “Swipe to Factory Reset” option at the bottom.
Step 7: Go back to main menu (TWRP Home) and tap on “Install” button. From the list, choose the zip file that you have copied in Step 3.
Step 8: Confirm the installation by swiping the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” option on the next screen.
Step 9: Now, tap on the “Wipe cache/dalvik” button to clean the ROM and stay away from any boot loop issues.
Google Apps: Repeat the above step (Step 7 to Step 9) for the Gapps zip file as well and install it on your phone.
Step 10: Hit on “Reboot System” button!
Wait a while, and your phone will not take more than 10 minutes to boot for the first time.
Hurray! Your OnePlus 5 should now have crDroid Android 8.1 Oreo Custom Firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
If you encounter any problem, please comment below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Please don’t forget to share if you have found this post helpful!