In this guide, you will be able to install LineageOS 16.0 on OnePlus 6T using TWRP recovery. A detailed tutorial is given below, along with download links; make sure to read it carefully.
LineageOS is the most popular custom ROM for Android devices, which is totally free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution. LineageOS 16.0 is Android 9.0 Pie based custom ROM available for OnePlus 6T. You can easily install this ROM on your phone using the guide below.
But remember, this ROM is a plan, bloatware free firmware, even it does not have pre-installed Gapps. So, you need to install the Android Pie Gapps separately right after installing the OS. We have described about Gapps too, along with download link. Read ahead.
OnePlus 6T is the latest flagship of OnePlus released back in 2018, and this phone is already getting a lot of loves from the developer community. Thanks to the OEM for providing an easy mechanism to work out with their devices.
LuK1337, a Recognized Developer has created LineageOS 16.0 and released in the XDA forum. Since the official build of LineageOS 16 is currently not available for the OnePlus 6T, you can use the one created by LuK1337, a lot of thanks to him.
But remember, this ROM is in the initial stage. So, it is certain; you may face some minor bugs. But, we believe that the developer community has enough potential to rectify the identified bugs as soon as possible.
Download LineageOS 16 for OnePlus 6T
Download the LineageOS 16.0 Android Pie-based custom ROM for OnePlus 6T from the links given below. But keep in mind, these are unofficial builds. We will update this article once the official build is out.
You can download from any one of the above mirrors.
Download Gapps for Android Pie Custom ROM
As I mentioned earlier, LineageOS 16 does not come with the Google apps package. So, in order to access Play Store and other Google applications on LineageOS 16, you need to install Android 9.0 Pie Gapps. Download from the link given below, and follow the tutorial to flash the same.
|[Download GApps for Android 9.0 Pie: flashable ZIP files for all devices]|
TWRP for OnePlus 6T
Since this firmware is not an official rollout by OnePlus, the stock recovery won’t work here. So, in order to install LineageOS 16 on OnePlus 6T, you must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed from before. In that case, you also have to unlock the bootloader of your phone. If your device doesn’t have a custom recovery, and bootloader is not unlocked, please do that first from the guide given below and then get back to this tutorial.
Note: Rooting is optional in the above-given tutorial. You can skip it if you only need to install the recovery.
Backup before starting the tutorial
This guide will wipe out all the applications, data, and system files from your device. So, we strongly recommend you to backup your important files before starting the tutorial. Check out:
If possible, please create a full Nandroid backup image from TWRP. This will help if the installation fails. You can restore to the previous OS with data.
Once you are sure that you have backup your device, please proceed to the installation tutorial below. But before that, please check out the prerequisite ahead.
You must be having the following requirements to be fulfilled before you head down to the tutorial below.
- Make sure your phone has at least 80 – 85% charge. If not, please do charge it before starting the experiment.
- This tutorial will WIPE OUT all your DATA. Make sure to create a Backup of everything before starting the tutorial.
- You need to perform a Dalvik Cache wipe in recovery mode before and after installing the ROM.
- You need to enable USB Debugging mode to connect your Android phone to computer. (Settings > About Phone > Build number > Tap it 7 times to become developer; Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging).
How to install LineageOS 16 on OnePlus 6T
We have mentioned full step-by-step instructions on how to install LOS 16 on OnePlus 6T. If you are entirely new to rooting, flashing a Custom ROM or an Official Firmware, please read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
TUTORIAL: (Step by Step Guide)
- Download the LineageOS 16 and GApps from the above links for OnePlus 6T on your computer.
- Now, connect the device to your PC using the USB cable (preferably, the official one, provided by OnePlus with the phone box).
- Copy and paste the downloaded zip file to the internal storage of your phone.
- Switch Off your phone and disconnect the cable.
- Press and hold Volume Down and Power Button together to enter into the recovery mode!
- Once you are in the TWRP recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by tapping on “WIPE” Button. Also, perform a factory reset by swiping on the “Swipe to Factory Reset” option at the bottom.
- Go back to main menu (TWRP Home) and tap on “Install” button. From the list, choose the zip file that you have copied in Step 3.
- Confirm the installation by swiping the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” option on the next screen.
- Now, tap on the “Wipe cache/dalvik” button to clean the ROM and stay away from any boot loop issues.
- Google Apps: Repeat the same steps for GApps too (Step 7 to Step 9).
- Rooting: In case, you want to root OnePlus 6T on LineageOS ROM, you can flash this AddonSU 16.0 file.
- Hit on “Reboot System” button!
Wait a while, and your phone may take up to 10 minutes to boot for the first time.
That’s all. You are done!
Additionally, if you would like to install Xposed Framework for Android Pie on your device, you can try out the following guide:
→ HOW TO: Install Xposed Framework on Android 9.0 Pie devices
What’s your views on this LineageOS ROM? Please do share in the comment section below.
So you are done with this tutorial! You had successfully installed LineageOS 16 on OnePlus 6T using our guide. If you faced any problem with performing this tutorial, please let us know by dropping a comment below. Our team will reply you back as soon as possible.
Leave a Reply