From this guide, you will be able to unlock the bootloader on the OnePlus 8T using a suitable method, applying some custom fastboot commands. Unlocking the bootloader is mandatory when you decide to root your phone and utilize its full potential with mods.
This guide will take you through entire steps that require to unlock the bootloader on the OnePlus 8T with safety measures. But before starting the tutorial, let’s discuss the benefits of unlocking a bootloader on any Android phone!
Like all other OnePlus phones, the OnePlus 8T comes with a locked bootloader too. But thanks to the OEM for providing a simple mechanism to unlock the device. The bootloader of your OnePlus 8T is a part of the core Android system that brings up the kernel and is responsible for booting up your device. Apart from that, it also guards the device, ensuring integrity by verifying the boot and recovery partitions.
About OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 8T is the first smartphone in which we find Android 11 natively inside. Obviously, the OS is customized with OxygenOS 11, the stock UI of all OnePlus phones. However, it is worth highlighting the main functions: among all, the always-on mode allows you to check notifications even when the screen is locked and without lifting the smartphone. The graphics reflect that of the adaptive screen (which is nothing more than a kind of not-always-on request). The new Zen Mode 2.0 allows you to block the smartphone’s use now for longer periods and even in groups remotely.
Among other new features, the dark mode has been refined. The recording can transcribe the text (at the moment only in English and Chinese). The entire graphics have been slightly rearranged by introducing a new font. In addition to this, we find everything that we had appreciated from the previous versions. Together with these functions, the fluidity and speed of the entire system are still in place.
Why Bootloader Unlocking on OnePlus 8T?
Bootloader unlocking is the first step for any modification on Android. Like all other OnePlus phones, the OnePlus 8T also comes with a locked bootloader. But thanks to the OEM for providing a secure mechanism to unlock the device using fastboot commands.
Once you unlock your phone, you can install a custom recovery like TWRP and flash Magisk ZIP to root your device. We also have a tutorial on how to root OnePlus 8T using Magisk or SuperSU utility. So proceed to the guide below, but before starting the tutorial, check out some vital information and prerequisites which would be required while unlocking.
Benefits of Unlocking Bootloader
There are many benefits of unlocking the bootloader of an Android device. Android enthusiasts or super users love to use root app from the Play Store. So, for them, bootloader unlocking is the first step to perform. Some of the key benefits of bootloader unlocking are:
- Rooting: You can root your device using Magisk or SuperSU if you have an unlocked phone on hand.
- Custom Recovery: You can replace your current stock recovery with a Custom Recovery like TWRP.
- Custom recovery helps in flashing any supported ZIP files on the device.
- System modification: You can modify your Android OS in the way you want using some Xposed Modules or Magisk Modules.
- Clean Flash: Sometimes, updating software via OTA can cause bootloop issues because of existing files from the older OS. You can clean flash an official ROM using TWRP by removing all the data from the previous one, and get a fresh OS installed.
- Custom ROM: You can try some of the coolest custom ROMs available in the community forum for your device.
Thanks to OnePlus for providing a simple mechanism to unlock the bootloader with the fastboot commands. But before heading to the tutorial, please check out the pre-requisites below. Make sure to fulfill all before proceeding to the tutorial.
WARNING: All the custom ROMs, Official Firmware, How-to guides, tutorials, roots, hacks, and tricks mentioned on our site belong to the respective developers. We are not responsible if anything goes wrong with your device. Perform it at your own risk.
Backup OnePlus 8T (Warning)
Unlocking the bootloader on OnePlus 8T will erase everything from your phone. This includes SMS, photos, apps, videos, games, contacts, or anything on your internal storage. So, before proceeding to the tutorial, make sure to back up everything from your device. This backup application list might help you:
Once you are sure that you have completely backed up your data, proceed to the tutorial below to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 8T using fastboot.
- Make sure your phone has at least 80 – 85% charge. If not, please do charge it before starting the experiment.
- You need to enable USB Debugging mode to connect your Android phone to computer. (Settings > About Phone > Build number > Tap it 7 times to become developer; Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging).
- Enable OEM Unlock: Settings > Developer options > Enable OEM unlock.
- You must install Android SDK tool on your computer.
Download OnePlus 8T USB Driver
Make sure you have correctly installed OnePlus USB Driver on your computer. If not, please download from any official source and install it correctly. Otherwise, your computer will not detect your device.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below to unlock OnePlus 8T bootloader.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 8T
- Go to C:\adb folder where the ADB/Fastboot binaries are present.
- Press and hold the SHIFT key and do a right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- You should Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Connect your phone to the PC with the help of the USB cable.
- Now boot your device into the Bootloader/Fastboot mode using the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Make sure that your device is being detected properly using the following command:
- The command will return a unique device ID right with the ‘fastboot’ message.
- Unlock OnePlus 8T Bootloader using the following command:
fastboot oem unlock
- Once you execute the command, your device screen will prompt you with a warning.
- Simply use the volume rocker to select “UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER” and hit power button.
- Your device will reboot and you are done!
Your OnePlus 8T Pro should be unlocked now.
We have tons of guides, article, and tips for Android on our blog, but we think you might be interested in the following post:
- Top 50+ Android apps for rooted devices in 2020
- Download YouTube Vanced APK latest (for any Android)
- Xposed Hub: Download and install Xposed Framework on any Android device
- Google Camera ports download (FULL List, all devices)
- Stock wallpapers: Ported wallpapers from various flagship devices (premium quality)
So you are done with this tutorial! You had successfully unlocked bootloader on OnePlus 8T using our guide. If you faced any problem with performing this tutorial, please let us know by dropping a comment below. Our team will reply you back as soon as possible.
Is this post helpful? Please do share it on Social Media to THANK US.