Xiaomi’s latest flagship, the Mi 9T Pro (aka K20 Pro), is the best affordable flagship smartphone in the market right now. The phone comes with top-notch hardware that can compete with Galaxy Note 10 or One Plus 7. With its high-quality camera and super-fast performance, this is one of the best smartphones from the OEM in the premium segment. Even I had also purchased this phone as an upgrade to my previous OnePlus 5. Its been 4 months now, I am using the K20 Pro and all I can say that this is one of the finest flagships out there in 2019. I had tried several Magisk Modules here and applied many custom Mods til now. Also, the best thing is, we got Google Camera port on this phone, which can capture stunning images, with high resolutions, and Night Sight.
One of the best part is that the Camera2 API is enabled on this phone by default. And that’s why I got to use the GCam port right from the day of purchase. Anyway, this guide will give you more features on your Mi 9T Pro. If you are an Android enthusiast and want to try some modification on your Mi 9T Pro, you are on the right page. From this guide, you will be able to unlock the bootloader of the Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro, which is the first step of modification.
Once you unlock the bootloader, you will be able to install TWRP custom recovery and flash any custom ROM available out there in the XDA Developer forum. Moreover, you will be able to flash SuperSU or Magisk ZIP, which can give you root access. This means you can use any root-based apps from the play store and modify your phone in the way you want. Further, you will also be able to install Xposed Framework on your Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro and utilize the modules from their platform.
From this guide, you can quickly unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi 9T Pro using some simple steps. A detailed tutorial is given below with all the download links for tools that would require to unlock the device. Read ahead and grab them!
About Xiaomi Mi 9T / K20 Pro
|Network||GSM / HSPA / LTE (Global support)|
|Chipset||Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm)|
|Memory||64GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM|
|Camera||48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF, Laser AF, 8 MP, f/2.4, 53mm (telephoto), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm, PDAF, Laser AF, 2x optical zoom, and 13 MP, f/2.4, 12mm (ultrawide), 1/3.1″, 1.12µm|
|Display||Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors|
|Size||6.39 inches, 100.2 cm2 (~86.1% screen-to-body ratio)|
|Resolution||1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~403 ppi density)|
|OS||Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 10, upgradable to Android 10, MIUI 11|
|Battery||Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery|
The phone recently got an Android 10 update with its MIUI 11 skin. Android 10 brings many changes to the Mi 9T Pro, but still, some bugs can harm the user experience. One of them is the Facebook application bug. If you use the Facebook app, you may see a frequent notification of “Updating features for Facebook.” I don’t know how to fix that, but I hope Xiaomi will bring some fixing solutions on their next update. Anyway, move ahead for the bootloader unlocking tutorial below. But before that, check out the prerequisite for unlocking bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro!
Benefits of Unlocking Bootloader on Mi 9T Pro
There are many benefits of Unlocking Bootloader on an Android device. Android Enthusiast or super users love to use root App from Play Store and XDA forum. So, for them, Unlocking Bootloader is the first step to experiment. Some of the main benefits of Unlocking Bootloader are:
- Rooting: You can root your device using Magisk or SuperSU once you have a unlocked phone.
- Custom ROM: You can try out some of the cool Custom ROM out there in the community forum for your device.
- Custom Recovery: You can replace your current stock recovery with Custom Recovery like TWRP. Recovery helps on flashing any kind of supported ZIP files on your device.
- System modification: You can modify your Android OS in the way you want using some Xposed Modules or Magisk Modules.
Thanks to Xiaomi for providing a simple mechanism to unlock the bootloader with the Mi Unlock tool. But before heading to the tutorial, please check out the pre-requisites below. Make sure to fulfill all before proceeding to the tutorial.
Backup Mi 9T Pro (Warning)
Unlocking the bootloader on Mi 9T Pro will erase everything from your phone. This includes SMS, photos, apps, videos, games, contacts, or anything on your internal storage. So, before proceeding to the tutorial, make sure to back up everything from your device. This backup application list might help you:
Once you are sure that you have completely backed up your data, proceed to the tutorial below to unlock bootloader on Mi 9T Pro using Mi Unlock tool.
- Make sure your phone has at least 80 – 85% charge. If not, please do charge it before starting the experiment.
- You need to enable USB Debugging mode to connect your Android phone to computer. (Settings > About Phone > Build number > Tap it 7 times to become developer; Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging).
- Enable OEM Unlock: Settings > Developer options > Enable OEM unlock.
- You must install Android SDK tool on your computer.
Download Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro USB Driver
Make sure you have correctly installed Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro USB Driver on your computer. If not, please download from any official source and install it correctly. Otherwise, your computer will not detect your device.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below to unlock Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro bootloader.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro / K20 Pro
We have mentioned the full step-by-step instructions on how to unlock bootloader on Mi 9T Pro using Mi Unlock tool. If you are entirely new to rooting, flashing a Custom ROM or an Official Firmware, please read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
- The first step is to get the unlock permission on your Mi account. So, in order to get that access, you need to have a Mi account first. Also, make sure your account has a mobile number verification as well.
- Go to Settings > Additional settings > Developer option and bind your approved Mi account under Mi Unlock Status.
- Now, login into the following page:
- You might get some Chinese pages in the login window. You can use Google Translate to know the messages shown there.
- Now, once you are logged in, you will be able to see the “Apply for permission to unlock Mi devices” page. From there, you can download the “Mi Unlock tool” on your PC.
- Next, boot your Mi 9T Pro into Fastboot Mode. How? First, powering it off and then turn it on while pressing and holding Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously. Hold until you see your phone is booted into Fastboot mode.
- Connect your Mi 9T Pro to the computer using compatible USB cable (preferably, the official one, provided by Xiaomi with the phone box).
- UnZIP the Mi Unlock tool on your PC that you had downloaded in Step #3 open up miflash_unlock.exe (file name might differ due to upgrade version).
- Now, Sign-in with your Mi account, which should be configured on your phone, and wait for the verification process.
- While you logged into the Mi Unlock Tool, click on the top-right gear icon to monitor the update for both USB driver and Mi Unlock Tool. Make assured you’re running the newest version.
- Finally, press ‘Unlock‘ and follow the timer/ waiting period shown in Mi Unlock Tool to unlock the Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro successfully.
- The program should now start unlocking and should also show the live status of progress percentage.
- Once done, it will display “Unlocked Successfully.”
That’s it! Your Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro bootloader is now unlocked!
How to Root Mi 9T Pro?
Done with the bootloader unlocking on Mi 9T Pro? You might be looking forward to rooting your phone. Don’t worry; we have a detailed guide on that too. Check out the link below:
We have tons of guides, article, and tips for Android on our blog, but we think you might be interested in the following post:
- Top 50+ Android apps for rooted devices in 2020
- Download YouTube Vanced APK latest (for any Android)
- Xposed Hub: Download and install Xposed Framework on any Android device
- Substratum theme engine tutorial – (Install it on any device)
- Google Camera ports download (FULL List, all devices)
- Stock wallpapers: Ported wallpapers from various flagship devices (premium quality)
So you are done with this tutorial! You had successfully unlocked bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro using our guide. If you faced any problem with performing this tutorial, please let us know by dropping a comment below. Our team will reply you back as soon as possible.
Is this post helpful? Please do share it on Social Media to THANK US.