Here is some good news for those who want to use Android 9.0 Pie OS on their device, provided it is compatible with Project Treble. A GSI ROM based on AOSP Android 9 Pie is available to download and install. Which means, if your device supports Project Treble, you can install Android 9.0 Pie right away.
When Google Announced Project Treble with Android 8.0 Oreo, there was some skepticism among the Android community about how fast Treble could bring the updates. But after seeing this custom development, making Android Pie available for compatible devices, we can assume that how Treble can effect in the Android ecosystem.
Android Pie official source code is available in the AOSP, and developers can now build GSIs for all Project Treble enabled devices. Checkout: Android P update for all supported devices.
Indeed, a Recognized XDA Developer phhusson, who made the first community-build GSI that made it possible to boot AOSP on Huawei Mate 9, has developed his first source-built Android 9.0 Pie GSI ROM.
Most of the Treble enabled device with Unlocked Bootloader can now install Android 9.0 Pie using this guide.
Project Treble 9.0 Pie supported device list
The Pie GSI ROM mentioned here is compatible with all the devices that support Project Treble. Also, this ROM will support those devices that got Project Treble support unofficially. In that case, you need to install the Treble based Oreo firmware before flashing Pie ROM.
→ Check out Project Treble supported device list here!
The Android 9 Pie Treble ROM given below in the download section will be working fine on the number of devices that listed below:
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ Exynos
- Razer phone
- OnePlus 6
- Huawei View 10
- Blackview A20
- Koolnee Rainbow
- Huawei Mate 9
- Cubot X18 Plus
- Allview V3 Viper
- Pixel 2 XL (running Android 8.1 vendor)
- Lenovo Moto E5
- Xiaomi Mi 8 (and Mi 8 SE)
Also, if any other phone like Xiaomi Mi 6 that unofficially supports Project Treble, can install this Android 9 Pie ROM. Other devices like OnePlus 5 that got Treble support officially a few days back can directly install this firmware to get Android 9 running right away.
Why Android 9.0 Pie Project Treble [GSI] ROM?
Well if you are an Android lover, and you want Android Pie update, why should you wait for an official one? It may take several months for the OEM to release. Let the official one comes out, and till then, you may try out this custom build Android Pie.
It’s true that you will lose warranty on performing our tutorial to install Android Pie, but if you are eagerly waiting for the update, no one can stop you! We are here all times playing experiments with Android phones and tablets, with this kind of stuff. You should understand what are you doing now!
At this stage, the ROM is in alpha mode. You may face some bugs. The developer has already pointed out, and he is taking bugs report from various devices.
GApps is not available right now!
You need to flash GApps package after installing the ROM in order to get access to the Google’s native applications. We also provided the download link for it. Make sure to download the GApps ZIP file based on your device architecture. We expect the GApps integrated Pie ROM soon, as the developer has already started working on it.
Download Project Treble [GSI] Android 9.0 Pie
Be sure to download the correct version of Android 9.0 Pie AOSP ROM based on your device architecture and A/B partitioning of your device.
Note: Image files are highly compressed in XZ format. Please extract before flashing.
If your device partition is A-Only, then download A-Only System image file from the above download link, based on the architecture (ARM, ARM64, etc.) of your device.
- Your device must be compatible with Project Treble.
- You are going to flash system.img file here. So, your bootloader must be unlocked from before. If not, please do that first and get back to the tutorial.
- Make sure you have correctly installed Android USB Driver on your computer.
- Make sure to backup everything on your device before starting the tutorial. (Check out: Best Android Backup Apps – Secure your Data)
- Enable the USB debugging on your Android device.
- You must install Android SDK tool on your computer.
How to Install Project Treble AOSP ROM
- Download System image (*.img) for your device. Make sure to download the correct image file depending upon the support of A/B partition on your device.
- Now copy this image file to C:\adb folder where the ADB/Fastboot binaries will be present.
- Press and hold the SHIFT key and do a right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- You should Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Connect your phone to the PC with the help of the USB cable.
- Now Boot your device into the Bootloader/Fastboot mode using the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Make sure that your device is being detected properly using the following command:
- The command will return a unique device ID right with the ‘fastboot’ message.
- Lastly, install System on the device using the following command:
fastboot flash system <system-xx-xxxx.img>
- Now reboot your device using the following command:
Now, you should reboot your phone into stock recovery. Perform a factory reset to clean up any unnecessary files and cache junks.
When your device boots, follow the on-screen instructions for initial setup and you are done!
Hurray! Your phone has been updated to Project Treble Pie AOSP ROM. Check Setting>About Phone to verify!
Additionally, if you want to install GApps, you can flash it using TWRP Recovery. But this won’t be required to do separately in future as the developer clearly said, he will integrate GApps in the OS.
Project Treble Android 9 Pie update issues
As I mentioned earlier, this ROM is in the initial stage. You might find some bugs. You can report to the respective developers via community forums. But some of the flaws that already detected are given below:
(Issues detected as on August 21, 2018)
- RIL on MTK running Android 8.0
- Front camera on Razer Phone
- Stock AOSP camera app on some devices. Please use OpenCamera app
- Android 9.0 vendor
- Several graphics glitches on Moto E5
The developer is inviting users to test this build and report the bugs they find so that he could fix them quickly to release a stable version of Android Pie AOSP ROM.
If you have any query regarding Android 9.0 Pie Project Treble ROM, please do comment below, and we will reply you back as soon as possible. Also, let us know if the Treble GSI ROM is working on your device or not.
How can i update my phone(v6.0) to (v9.0) my phone is mione R1
You can follow the above steps to install the required image file and get updated.