From this guide, you will be able to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro easily. We have included all the download links to all the required packages. Make sure you go through all the tips given below and keep them in mind before performing the tutorial.
Redmi Note 5 Pro is a popular mid-range device from Xiaomi, which is powered by Snapdragon 636. The device was released back in February 2018 and hit the market. Initially, the device came with Android 7.1.2 Nougat, but now, got Android 9.0 based MIUI 11, all thanks to the developer. Despite being a 2 years old device, the Redmi Note 5 Pro also got an Android 10 update via Custom ROM. You can check out our guide on How to install Pixel Experience 10 ROM on Redmi Note 5 Pro here.
Since the Redmi Note 5 Pro got massive popularity in the international market, the device got great attention from the developer community. There are tons of Custom ROMs, mods, core themes, and root based apps available for the Redmi Note 5 Pro. If you are a power user, you must be looking forward to taking the full benefit from the developer community. Isn’t it?
So, in that case, your first step is to unlock the bootloader of your device. Here in this guide, we have a complete step by step tutorial on how to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro using an official method by Xiaomi. The tutorial given below is written in such standard so that even the first time users find it easy to perform. All you need to do is to read the entire guide thoroughly and understand the steps. We have also provided the essential tips for safety purposes on unlocking bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro; Read ahead!
About Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
|Network||GSM / HSPA / LTE (Global)|
|Chipset||Qualcomm SDM636 Snapdragon 636 (14 nm)|
|Memory||64GB 4GB RAM, 64GB 6GB RAM (eMMC 5.1)|
|Primary Camera||12 MP, f/2.2, 1/2.9″, 1.25µm, PDAF, 5 MP, f/2.0, (depth)|
|Front Camera||20 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 1/3″, 0.9µm|
|Display||IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors|
|Size||5.99 inches, 92.6 cm2 (~77.4% screen-to-body ratio)|
|Resolution||1080 x 2160 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~403 ppi density)|
|OS||Android 7.1.2 (Nougat), upgradable to Android 10|
|Battery||Li-Po 4000 mAh battery|
Bootloader unlocking is the first step for any modification on Android. Like all other Xiaomi phones, the Redmi Note 5 Pro also comes with a locked bootloader. But thanks to the Xiaomi for providing a secure mechanism to unlock the device using an official software called Mi Unlock tool.
Once you unlock your phone, you can install a custom recovery like TWRP and flash Magisk ZIP to root your device. We also have a tutorial on how to root Redmi Note 5 Pro using Magisk or SuperSU utility. So proceed to the guide below, but before starting the tutorial, check out some vital information and prerequisites which would be required while unlocking.
Benefits of Unlocking Bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro
There are many benefits of Unlocking Bootloader on an Android device. Android Enthusiast or super users love to use root App from Play Store and XDA forum. So, for them, Unlocking Bootloader is the first step to experiment. Some of the main benefits of Unlocking Bootloader are:
- Rooting: You can root your device using Magisk or SuperSU once you have an unlocked phone.
- Custom ROM: You can try out some of the cool Custom ROM out there in the community forum for your device.
- Custom Recovery: You can replace your current stock recovery with Custom Recovery like TWRP. Recovery helps on flashing any kind of supported ZIP files on your device.
- System modification: You can modify your Android OS in the way you want using some Xposed Modules or Magisk Modules.
- Clean Flash: Sometimes, updating software via OTA can cause bootloop issues on your device because of existing cache from the older OS. You can clean flash the official ROM ZIP using TWRP by erasing the previous version, which gives a fresh OS.
Thanks to Xiaomi for providing a simple mechanism to unlock the bootloader with the Mi Unlock tool. But before heading to the tutorial, please check out the pre-requisites below. Make sure to fulfill all before proceeding to the tutorial.
Backup Redmi Note 5 Pro (Warning)
Unlocking the bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro will erase everything from your phone. This includes SMS, photos, apps, videos, games, contacts, or anything on your internal storage. So, before proceeding to the tutorial, make sure to back up everything from your device. This backup application list might help you:
Once you are sure that you have completely backed up your data, proceed to the tutorial below to unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro using Mi Unlock tool.
- Make sure your phone has at least 80 – 85% charge. If not, please do charge it before starting the experiment.
- You need to enable USB Debugging mode to connect your Android phone to computer. (Settings > About Phone > Build number > Tap it 7 times to become developer; Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging).
- Enable OEM Unlock: Settings > Developer options > Enable OEM unlock.
- You must install Android SDK tool on your computer.
Download Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro USB Driver
Make sure you have correctly installed Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro USB Driver on your computer. If not, please download from any official source and install it correctly. Otherwise, your computer will not detect your device.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below to unlock Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro bootloader.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
We have mentioned the full step-by-step instructions on how to unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro using Mi Unlock tool. If you are entirely new to rooting, flashing a Custom ROM or an Official Firmware, please read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
- The first step is to get the unlock permission on your Mi account. So, in order to get that access, you need to have a Mi account first. Also, make sure your account has a mobile number verification as well.
- Go to Settings > Additional settings > Developer option and bind your approved Mi account under Mi Unlock Status.
- Now, login into the following page:
- You might get some Chinese pages in the login window. You can use Google Translate to know the messages shown there.
- Now, once you are logged in, you will be able to see the “Apply for permission to unlock Mi devices” page. From there, you can download the “Mi Unlock tool” on your PC.
- Next, boot your Redmi Note 5 Pro into Fastboot Mode. How? First, powering it off and then turn it on while pressing and holding Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously. Hold until you see your phone is booted into Fastboot mode.
- Connect your Redmi Note 5 Pro to the computer using compatible USB cable (preferably, the official one, provided by Xiaomi with the phone box).
- UnZIP the Mi Unlock tool on your PC that you had downloaded in Step #3 open up miflash_unlock.exe (file name might differ due to upgrade version).
- Now, Sign-in with your Mi account, which should be configured on your phone, and wait for the verification process.
- While you logged into the Mi Unlock Tool, click on the top-right gear icon to monitor the update for both USB driver and Mi Unlock Tool. Make assured you’re running the newest version.
- Finally, press ‘Unlock‘ and follow the timer/ waiting period shown in Mi Unlock Tool to unlock the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro successfully.
- The program should now start unlocking and should also show the live status of progress percentage.
- Once done, it will display “Unlocked Successfully.”
That’s it! Your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro bootloader is now unlocked!
How to root Redmi Note 5 Pro?
Done with the bootloader unlocking on Redmi Note 5 Pro? You might be looking forward to rooting your phone. Don’t worry; we have a detailed guide on that too. Check out the link below:
We have tons of guides, article, and tips for Android on our blog, but we think you might be interested in the following post:
- Top 50+ Android apps for rooted devices in 2020
- Download YouTube Vanced APK latest (for any Android)
- Xposed Hub: Download and install Xposed Framework on any Android device
- Substratum theme engine tutorial – (Install it on any device)
- Google Camera ports download (FULL List, all devices)
- Stock wallpapers: Ported wallpapers from various flagship devices (premium quality)
So you are done with this tutorial! You had successfully unlocked bootloader on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro using our guide. If you faced any problem with performing this tutorial, please let us know by dropping a comment below. Our team will reply you back as soon as possible.
Is this post helpful? Please do share it on Social Media to THANK US.