Samsung has released the official Pie update for the Galaxy J5 2017 model (aka Galaxy J5 Pro in some markets). Thanks to the Korean OEM to fulfill the promise to get Android 9.0 update for its budget smartphone. The update is now rolling out in several regions including Russia and Poland. As in the case of all Galaxy series, the Android Pie update for Galaxy J5 2017 comes with Samsung’s One UI. You can refer to the One UI page of Android Authority to know the latest updates and changes.
Along with the major system upgrade, the XXU5CSH7 build also bumps the J5’s security patch level to August 2019. This update fixes many Android and Samsung specific vulnerabilities in the company’s August security bulletin.
If the OTA notification for Android 9 is yet not available on your J5, you can download it manually and install using Odin flash tool. We have a detailed guide below on how to install Android Pie on J5 manually. We also have some additional tips for safety and backup along with the download links for necessary tools. Read ahead carefully.
So before proceeding to the tutorial below, I would like to make sure to confirm your mobile variant for the compatibility of this firmware. Check out below:
|Dimensions||146.3 x 71.3 x 7.9mm|
|Display||5.2″ (131.8mm) Super AMOLED|
|CPU||Exynos Exynos 7870|
|Camera||13 MP, CMOS F1.7|
Device confirmed? Now proceed to the tutorial below 🙂
The guide is ahead below! Please make sure to read each step carefully so that you don’t get stuck in the middle of the tutorial and loss of some data. We won’t be responsible for that.
Why manual update via Odin?
Manual installation of Samsung stock firmware is required for the following reasons:
- Bricked device: In case, your Galaxy J5 (2017) has been bricked while trying any custom ROM or mods, you can manually update your phone to recover and get back to stock position.
- OTA problem: If you aren’t getting direct OTA from Samsung due to carrier or region problem, you can download Samsung stock firmware and flash it to your phone using Odin tool.
- Rooted device: Rooting opens the window to customize your Android phone. But sometimes, this root status can break the OTA links. That’s why you might not be able to update your phone directly.
- Custom ROM: If you had installed any custom ROM like LineageOS, it is inevitable that there is no way to get official OTA. You need to flash the PDA and other files using Odin to get back to stock ROM.
- Bootloop: Facing bootloop issues due to some root apps or some Xposed modules? Manual update will help you!
But before heading to the main tutorial, please read the change-log of this build and the new features of One UI for the Galaxy J5 (2017).
Android 9.0 for Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) details
One UI for Galaxy J5 (2017) is on stable stage. This build contain massive changes including the whole new One UI skin. All the Android 9.0 Pie features by Google are integrated as well.
Android 9.0 is a significant system update from Android Oreo that brings a bunch of new features and improvements. Being based on the latest irritation of Android, the update carries all the Android 9.0 goodies.
- Gesture-based navigation
- Adaptive Battery
- Refreshed notification
- Rotation suggestion
- App Actions
- Text Classifier and Smart Linkify
- Neural Networks API 1.1
- New system navigation
- Display cutout
- Notifications and smart reply
- Text Magnifier
- Biometric prompt
- Protected Confirmation
- Stronger protection for private keys
- DNS over TLS
- HTTPS by default
- Compiler-based security mitigations
- Multi-camera API and other camera updates
- HDR VP9 Video and HEIF image compression
- Enhanced audio with Dynamics Processing
- ImageDecoder for bitmaps and drawables
- Wi-Fi RTT for indoor positioning
- Data cost sensitivity in JobScheduler
- Open Mobile API for NFC payments and secure transactions
- ART performance
- Optimized for Kotlin
- Modern Android
→ [Check What’s new in Android P here!]
Note: This update comes with August 2019 security patches. They will bring the latest update soon via OTA.
LIKE this One UI Stock Firmware for Galaxy J5 (2017)? We love it too, and we know you are looking forward to installing it on your phone. Please read the important information below before starting the tutorial.
This guide is specific to Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) model only. Please do not try this on any other Samsung phones. Make sure to check the specific model number:
- Go to Settings > About phone > Model number.
Download Android 9.0 stable build for Galaxy J5 (2017)
|Region||XEO — Poland|
Galaxy J5 USB Driver
Make sure you have correctly installed Galaxy J5 USB Driver on your computer. If not, please download from any official source and install it correctly. Otherwise, your computer will not detect your device.
Backup your Android Device
Before proceeding to the tutorial to install, we strongly recommend you to backup your important data and files from your phone. Because flashing an official firmware will erase everything from your device. We don’t want you to lose anything by following our tutorial. In that case, you can check out our list of backup app that may help you:
→ Top 10 Best Android Backup Apps – Secure your Data
Samsung users can use Samsung Smart Switch to backup data on the computer. Samsung Smart Switch even allows the users to move data from one device to another of different variant (like moving data of Galaxy S8 to Galaxy S9).
- Download Google Camera Port APK with working HDR+ / ZSL [for all devices]
- Download Google Phone APK; Dark theme v30 Stable [PATCHED for all devices]
Once you are sure that you made a complete backup of your necessary documents, you can move ahead to the tutorial below and update Galaxy J5 (2017) to One UI based on Android 9.0 Pie official firmware.
Tools that required for firmware installation
- Samsung USB driver: Download Samsung USB Driver.
- USB Cable: You must have the official USB cable of your device – the one that provided by Samsung.
Things to Remember
- Make sure your phone has at least 80 – 85% charge. If not, please do charge it before starting the experiment.
- This tutorial may WIPE OUT all your DATA. Make sure to create a Backup of everything before starting the tutorial.
- You need to enable USB Debugging mode to connect your Android phone to computer. (Settings > About Phone > Build number > Tap it 7 times to become developer; Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.)
Ready now? Let’s proceed to the tutorial below, and update Galaxy J5 (2017) to One UI Android 9.0 Pie official firmware.
HOW TO: Install Android Pie on Galaxy J5 (2017)
We have mentioned full step-by-step instructions on how to install Android 9.0 Pie official firmware on Galaxy J5 (2017). If you are entirely new to flashing a Custom ROM or an Official Firmware, please read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
Download the firmware from the above-given link. Next, proceed to the installation tutorial from the link below.
Please read the tutorial from the link above to install One UI Android 9.0 Pie Official Firmware on Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) SM-J530F. The procedure has been described properly with screenshots. If you got stuck somewhere, drop your comment below, and we will help you as soon as possible.
Rooting Warning: If your device is already rooted, you are going to lose it. If you want root access, you need to root again after flashing this firmware.
Custom Recovery Warning: If you have a custom recovery like TWRP installed, you are going to lose it. It will be replaced by the Stock recovery of Samsung.
Are you having fun playing with the major system upgrade? You can try out some Xposed modules, or you can even try Magisk modules to modify your device in the way you like.
In case, if you want to customize your Android using Substratum, here’s the tutorial for you:
- Substratum theme engine tutorial – (Install it on any device)
Is this post helpful? Do LIKE us on the Facebook page to THANK and stay tuned with the latest updates on your social timeline.
Leave a Reply